I don’t know how I ended up watching this video. I was actually flipping through recipe videos, looking for something interesting to cook and…
Wait. I DO know how I ended up watching this. It was on my Youtube’s home page under Recommended. Although I really have no idea why, I have never searched for or watched any Ukrainian/online dating related videos like, ever.
Anyway, I was intrigued with the video’s title. So I clicked it. And I watched it. The whole 33 minutes of it.[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wW7c58nMI4]
I’m not expecting you to watch it. The video itself is not very exciting. There’s no sexy and intimate actions. And it is 33 minutes long. So here’s a summary of the video:
- American men cannot find American wives.
- Ukrainian (Odessa) ladies/women cannot find Ukrainian husbands.
- American men pays US$ 3 500 each to a dating agency.
- American men comes to Odessa to meet potential wife candidates.
- American men and Ukrainian women meet in various locations and events in Odessa.
I don’t know why I did not close the video 2 minutes into it. I suppose I am interested to see what goes on in the minds of those men looking for wives and those women allowing men to choose them. After all, it is not so much different with how some Malaysian/Singaporean men look for Vietnamese wives, is it?
A few thoughts I have after watching the video:
- The video’s title should be renamed as [Desperate Ukrainian Women Hunting for Western Husbands]. I don’t know, that’s the impression that I got from the video. Yes, the men paid a lot of money and traveled all the way to Ukraine, but the entire video is in this spirit: 1) American men are fed up with American women, they rather look for better options in Eastern Europe. 2) There are more women than men in Ukraine, so the women needs to look for men from other countries. This means that the American men actually have a choice while the Ukrainian women have less of a choice. So who are the more desperate ones here?
- American men are douchebags. I don’t mean all of them, I mean the ones in this video, the ones looking for Ukrainian wives. And the ones commenting on the video. The entire video, the men are lamenting the fact that feminism and materialism has ruined American women for them, that American women sets high standards and are picky and doesn’t give them a chance and whatnot. Alright, legitimate concerns, except that they behave in the exact same manner when choosing the women in Ukraine. The men basically scrutinizes all the ladies as if they are goods, and then zero in on the pretty ones, and then interviews them on whether they love taking care of the family, cooking, cleaning, a.k.a being a housemaid. Come on, guys. You have no rights to hate that women pick on you when you want to do the same on women who you think are inferior!
- Ukrainian women thinks language is no barrier. I don’t know if this is another misrepresentation that I am making due to the video. Accordingly, the women shown are not prostitutes or poor people. They are highly educated women who genuinely wants to look for a relationship. And yet they speak very little English. They even need translators in their interaction with the men. I don’t know. I suppose I could give these girls an advice: if you want to get married to an American man, shouldn’t you at least learn to speak enough English to communicate with one without the help of a translator? How will you survive in America if you really get married to one?
- Ukrainian women are hot. Like, really hot. Actually, I think all Eastern European women are hot. 😳
I suppose the maker of the video specifically edited it so that only the douchiest American men and the prettiest Ukrainian women are featured to make the video more interesting to watch. Still, I think it would be a good idea to go backpacking to Eastern Europe one of these days and see if I can find my future wife there. Actually that is one of the options I am considering for my KrisFlyer miles. I mean the backpacking to Eastern Europe, of course.