I briefly glanced through my recent posts under Cooking just now and came into a realization. Some of my recent recipes are:
- Peanut Butter and (Nutella) Jam Cookies
- Nutella Cake
- Fish Pie
- Poached Cod with Broccoli Stir Fry
You know, the things I cooked (and blogged about) lately… they haven’t been as lazy as what I used to post previously. I mean, yeah, I cut corners when preparing them like I always do, but they are still quite complicated to prepare and rather intimidating to look at, as far as non cooking people are concerned. After all, one of my main reasons to blog about my ugly cooking is to inspire non cooking people to start to cook.
Fret not, today I am finally going back to doing a properly lazy dish after so long. Guaranteed 100% Lazy Man type!
I made a super lazy fish stew, and I’m going to show you how I did it!
Okay, before you look at my fish stew, I want you to look at how the pros do it..[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izFd68x14Fo]
Now here’s how I do it..
- 2 pieces of fish – 1 cod fillet, 1 barramundi fillet because that’s what I have
- 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 bacon strips
- 2 cloves of garlic
- some cheese
- 1 glass (300ml) of milk
- 1 egg – this is really optional, I’m Cantonese, so I love my egg in any gravy/sauce/soup
- Cut up the fish into pieces and sprinkle some salt and pepper over them.
- Soak the frozen vegetables in water for a few minutes to defrost.
- While vegetables are soaking, chop up garlic, cut bacon strips to pieces, and cut cheese to pieces.
That’s all the prep work. Really, it takes probably 5 minutes to do it.
- Heat some oil in a pot or deep pan, saute garlic and bacon until the kitchen smells extremely wonderful.
- Add the fish and vegetables in the pot. Then pour the milk into the pot. Ideally, the milk should cover all the ingredients. Then sprinkle the cheese into the pot.
- Stir and mix everything up, then cover the pot, set to low heat, and let the thing cook for 15 minutes.
While waiting, it was perfect time for me to watch half an episode of Shinken Pink. Of course, you can do watch other things, like half an episode of Kamen Rider Decade, or half a game of a Running Man episode.
- After the 15 minutes wait, remove lid and crack an egg into the pot. Stir and mix well and let it cook for another minute or two. At this point of time, the milk should have almost evaporated entirely. What’s left is a rather creamy, slightly smoky and cheesy sauce.
And it’s done…
Does all these sound confusing to you? Well, let me simplify things. Basically the steps I wrote are a detailed version of this:
- Cut up the ingredients,
- Throw everything into the pot,
- Leave the pot alone in low heat for 15 minutes.
How hard can that be? You wait more than 15 minutes at some restaurants or for your takeaways at some places. And you definitely wait more than 15 minutes if you order Pizza Hut Delivery.
Yeah, it doesn’t look as gorgeous as Jamie’s fish stew, but then it is not meant to be. It is for my stomach, not for a Youtube video hoping to get 100k views.
Is it delicious? Of course it is delicious! There’s fresh fish and bacon and cheese and egg, how can it not be delicious? If you don’t like white and creamy sauce, you can always replace the milk and cheese with tomato puree. Works just the same..