This is supposed to be my first post for 2015. As I am sitting in front of my laptop thinking what to write, I am also reading news about Tropical Storm Jangmi wreaking havoc in the Phillipines, causing at least 53 deaths with flooding and landslides. Yesterday the family Whatsapp-ed me a NASA article warning that the storm will Sabah tonight and reach southern Thailand/northern Peninsula Malaysia by 3rd January.
I know what the resident Mrs Paranoid at home is thinking, so I made sure to stock up on more instant noodles and frozen meal packs when I went shopping today, and made sure to take a photo of it and Whatsapp it back home to reassure her. And then she replied, telling me to buy some eggs.
Jokes aside, really.. if there really is such a thing as prayers bearing miracles, then I am praying again, please let the miracle manifest this time and let the storm break quickly. We are all supposed to have prayed for a better 2015. If we get hit by a big storm barely 3 days into 2015, that would be like a big slap on our collective faces. Worse, if Jangmi is coming through the South China Sea, then northern Peninsula means hitting Kelantan and Terengganu first. The poor folks over there are still contending with the flood (the current one), a fresh round of storm will totally destroy them.
Seriously, God, if you are reading this blog, please, don’t do the flood victims like that..
Apparently there really is miracle! The storm died down in the Sulu Sea some time on the 31st Dec. It did not continue into 2015! Yahooo!! In fact, over the weekend, it has been like desert where I am, in Penang.
I don’t know which God or Gods that you are praying, but keep praying, it works! 😀
Okay, back to what I was thinking to write. I think I am going to write something that maybe 90% of the bloggers have written. I am going to write something very cliché. I am going to write my New Year’s resolution for the year 2015!
I didn’t write one for 2014. In fact, I don’t think the word “resolution” even came across my mind once throughout 2014. Basically I had no plans for 2014. Maybe that was why I spent the year not even knowing what I was doing most of the time. I shall try to rectify that this year. Here goes, in no particular order:
- Learn stock trading – I’m not saying make big bucks by being a stock trader. The thing is, I’ve done some research on gold and silver, enough to decide to place part of my savings in that type of savings account. I’ve also done enough forex trading in the past few years, with virtual money and then with $200 cash capital (I made enough to make me happy, but not enough to bring about serious changes to my life), enough to know that forex is not a game for small timers long term. I have not tried buying and selling shares yet. I want to know the processes involved. I want to know the technical jargon that stock traders use.
- Use up all my KrisFlyer miles – I have kind of forgotten that I have 8800 KrisFlyer miles that was going to expire yesterday, until 11.15PM yesterday. It was fortune out of misfortune, I managed to spend 1200 miles to save 7600 miles just in time. Now I am staring at a grand total of 68000 KrisFlyer miles left. I think it is about time I do something with these miles. Let it be this year!
- Publish my book – When I started writing the book version of Love Story last year, I planned to publish it before end of the year. Due to various reasons, it did not happen. In fact I am ashamed to admit that as of now, the book is not even 50% complete. I will have to complete writing the book, and then learn the ropes of self publishing, and then publish the book by this year. I’m still 99% certain that there will be no hardcopy books and no payment involved, the book will only be available in Google Play Store and in pdf format downloadable from this blog, for free.
- Hit 1000 pageviews per day – I have already revealed to you that I am against kissing asses and I am against sacrificing my soul to score SEO page hits, so by now I think you should know that my blog will hardly be able to achieve celebrity status. Don’t worry, I’m not bothered by that. You should know that I don’t treat my blog as something to achieve fame (or infamy). But I do enjoy seeing the numbers climb week over week, month over month. I am currently beginning to hit the range of 400-500 pageviews per day, I think a double up by year end should be achievable?
- I… I don’t know… I guess that’s it… I don’t really have very many goals thought out huh…
Notice how I did not say things like: be happy, be more forgiving, be more compassionate, etc? Those are the basic fundamentals of being a human. Those are things that you need to practice every day, every year, until you die. Those are not things that you try to achieve in one year. Hence, those have no place in something so goal driven like a yearly resolution.
It will be interesting to see if I remember about this post and do a cross check come December 31, 2015. If you are still reading my blog by then and you somehow have a better memory than me, feel free to remind me 😉
PS: Sorry about the feature image (the one at the top) which has absolutely nothing to do with the post. Since this is almost an all words post, and that picture is the only one I have in my archives that has no home, I kind of just plug it here out of amusement. I’m looking forward to see how many comments that will focus on siew mai instead of what I wrote..