I bought a pumpkin yesterday. A big ass 2.2kg pumpkin..
I also made a pie dough..
- 250g flour, 100g butter, mix them up by hand until it becomes a crumbly mixture.
- Add a splash of milk (really just a tiny splash, a drizzle) and 1 egg. Knead and fold the mixture up by hand until you are able to form a ball of dough.
- Wrap the dough with cling film and let it rest in the fridge overnight.
And then I went out in the evening to watch the AFF Suzuki Cup Final where Malaysia looked on course to make Najib announce Monday as public holiday, only for Thailand to break our hearts in the final 10 minutes.
And then I went on a drinking session with some friends. Didn’t drink much, I went there mostly to meet up with some long-time-no-see friends, and to serve as driver for potential drunk blokes.
And then I really did fetch a drunk bloke home at 2AM. Good that he realized he was not in a state suitable for driving. So we just crashed in my house.
We were supposed to meet up with the same gang for lunch today. I mentioned that I might bring a pumpkin pie to show off if I wake up early.
I did wake up early today and started working on the pie.
- Cut the pumpkin in half. Cut one half (so it is about 1kg of pumpkin) into pieces and remove the seeds, keep the other half for future use.
- Slap the pumpkin pieces into the oven, 180°C for 1 hour.
- Scrape the roasted pumpkin fillings off the skin, into a big bowl. Add a few tablespoons of flour, a tablespoon of raw organic honey, and 1 egg. Whisk the batter until well mixed and creamy.
- Take the dough out of the fridge.. and..
And then I got a call and had to go back to the office to settle some stuff real quickly. The drunk bloke was still sleeping, between roasted pumpkin fragrance and electric whisking noise. So I left him to it and went out.
I was planning to go to the office and be back within the hour. But I ended up spending close to 2 hours instead. And then when I got home, I was already facing this:
What the fuck?!
Drunk bloke made my pie for me. And he did a bloody terrible job at that. Just look at the picture. The pie crust was broken on some places, and it looked ugly! And I was not able to take pictures of the rest of the process!
To his defense, I did come back rather late, and if not for him stepping in, the pie would not be ready on time. I just wished he f**king called me to inform me of his intervention upfront to save me from the nasty surprise >.<
Here’s an account of what drunk bloke did:
- Roll the dough out until the diameter matches my 8 inch cake/pie pan. If he had asked, he would know that dough was meant for 2 pies, instead now we got ourselves a super thick pie crust.
- Place baking sheet onto pie pan, place pie pastry on the baking sheet, and then pour the pumpkin batter onto pie pastry. And did a lousy job of shaping the pastry to resemble a pie, might I add.
- Bake in oven at 180°C for 1 hour. Except that if he had read my earlier blog posts, he would know that my oven is kind of weird, 180°C on the dial means roughly 200°C.
That’s why the pie crust was all hard and crunchy and broke off in a few spots when we try to cut it. My original plan was to blind bake the crust without any filling for 15 minutes (I even got some rice as pie weight for it!), then add the filling and bake for another 40 minutes, at the real 180°C.
Oh well, now we’ve got something that looks like a very crudely made pumpkin pie, tastes like a pumpkin pie, but is in fact pumpkin pie filling on a gigantic 8 inch biscuit!
Well, at least the mates were complementary about dessert at lunch..
And now I have to figure out what to do with the other half of the pumpkin. Drunk bloke used up all my dough. Damn!
I’m supposed to be driving home to KL this coming Wednesday, and I do not look forward to kneading a dough on Monday or Tuesday night…