I always thought the things that I cook are either interesting failures, or boring routine stuff. But the blog stats are telling me otherwise. My posts under the Cooking label has generally been the most successful in terms of page views so far. I guess there are many lazy people out there who wants simple recipes, hence I am getting more stray traffics than expected.
Oh well, maybe I should give in and do more cooking posts. Like what I am doing now. Hehehe 😀
This one was Friday night. Basically just baked fish with some stuff.
- 1 x fish fillet
- Some okras/ladies fingers
- 2 strips of secret weapon a.k.a bacon
- 1 x egg
- 1 x lemon
- Salt, pepper and olive oil
- Pre-works: Cut the fish fillet into a 4 pieces. Lightly marinate with salt and heavily marinate with pepper in the morning before going to work. I love pepper, so I always go heavy on pepper.
- Spread out a foil. Wash and cut up some okras into pieces, and spread them on the foil.
- Lay the 2 pieces of fish on top of the okras.
- Cut 1 strip of the secret weapon into half. Lay one half on top of each fish piece. This secret weapon will give the fish super flavor, that’s why don’t go heavy on the salt.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 pieces of fish and 1 strip of secret weapon.
- Drizzle some olive oil on top of the pile. Cut a lemon into half and squeeze the juice from one half of the lemon on top of the pile. Add more pepper. God I love pepper!
- Crack an egg on top of the pile.
- Wrap the damn thing up and slap it into the oven. 180°C for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Take the damn thing out, open up the foil, and squeeze the juice from the remaining half of the lemon onto the food. Add more pepper. Yes!
Simple? You don’t have to bother with things like finely chop, cut them into even pieces, or parsley and thyme and mint, that sort of gibberish. Nobody will care if you cut the things up in uneven shapes or sizes. If you don’t like herbs, don’t use herbs. If you don’t like okra, use broccoli or carrots or even cabbage, whatever you like. The food will end up in your tummy anyway. When I say “if I can do it, so can you!”, I really mean “if I can do it, so can you!”.
Oh, and don’t throw the squeezed lemon away first. When you are done cooking, rub your hands with the remnant lemon juice. Removed the raw fish/meat smell from your hands super effectively.
I don’t have any specific reason for using an egg. I just felt like it. If I had a bag of nachos, I might even add nachos in. Who knows.. 😉